Monday, March 4, 2013

Tegan & Sara - Fool To Cry


The Canadian duo AKA the twins from the Shining grown up in the status quo "black & white, candid pose" photo.
DISCLAIMER: I DON'T LIKE TEGAN & SARA MUCH, BUT I DIG THIS SONG

There's been a lot of controversy over the HBO original series "Girls" created by Lena Dunham. Some call it the seminal work of the "voice of our generation" or "brave" and "ground-breaking". Others call it racist"and "disingenuous". I think, at the least, it's well written, acted, and like little else on TV right now or ever. Regardless of your opinion on it, it is an important show.

Skyhook, ya bish.
In the same vein as its 20 something, soho/uptown New York City stylings, the credits of every episode has some deep, "so indie bro" acoustic & falsetto laden song that plays the episode off. In a recent episode, the song that came on particularly piqued my attention.

Girls just wanna have fun, and lots of weird sex, and a stable job with friends who love them, and just be happy, ya know?
 It was Tegan and Sara's cover of the Rolling Stones classic "Fool to Cry" off of the Girls Original Soundtrack (Vol. 1).


As for this song, I like it a lot. The terms "chord progression" and "masterfully constructed" could probably be used here but then you'd definitely realize I don't know anything about music. Actually, I might even prefer this version to that of the Rolling Stones from their 1976 album Black and Blue, as theirs puts more emphasis on the piano melody, where as this one has some excellent airy guitars. I only slightly prefer the dream-pop laden production by RAC but you've got to still give it up for the classic original, which obviously laid the groundwork. I think Mick would be proud.


Side note: My friend told me Tegan & Sara are "terrible" and that he "imagines lesbians scissoring to their music" or having "twincest". I don't know about that, but I like this song.

No comments:

Post a Comment