Sunday, March 3, 2013

My Bloody Valentine - When You Sleep

I have difficulty choosing between the greatest trio of tracks on an album, which may seem like an incredibly specific sub-category for critical view, but people categorize the most specific and stupid things these days, so the idea popping into my head isn't so strange.

If I had to choose, it'd be a tie between My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy's trio of Devil In a New Dress, Runaway, & Hell of a Life or Loveless' trio of To Here Knows When, When You Sleep, & I Only Said. And from there I'd have to choose the best song in those trios and then the best song between the two chosen and it's all really pointless rambling.

Where was I again? Oh yes.
When You Sleep is an awesome and spacey track off of My Bloody Valentines seminal 1991 Rock/Shoegaze classic "Loveless"


The succinct melody and distorted background riff can only be described as joyous. Then the vocals kick in and you're transported to a world where you and the perfect hipster girl with high waist pants, long dark hair, and thick rimmed glasses are running through an open field holding hands, then arriving at a cliff overlooking the city as you passionately kiss each other after you stare into each others eyes for a few of the longest minutes of your life under the glow of the night moon.

Then you wake up and realize the best thing you achieved in your terrible blog is a huge run on sentence which your English teachers always told you not to use. Sigh*

 Isn't this the most perfect lyric for the feeling of love ever?
When I look at you
Oh, I don't know what's true
You shut your contrarian mouth, you know it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment